New Balance released the new 870’s at the Chicago Marathon expo at the beginning of October. Fortunately, we were given a sneak peak at the women’s model and have been running in them since mid September.
The first time I took them out for a spin was on an 18 mile training run. Typically, new shoes and a long run may equal a bad combo, fortunately this was not the case with the 870’s. I have had no hot spots, blisters, or any real complaint after the first 18 miles and the next 90 plus miles I have put on them so far. The toe box has plenty roomy and the heel counter and extra lace loop prevented any heel slippage (that is a word, right?)
The 870’s are classifed as a light stability shoe. I am typically a neutral to mild stability shoe wearer, so the 870’s were a perfect match. I can safely say I did not notice any over-correction of my stride with the 870’s. The medial post provides gentle support at the level I need. The midfoot wrap offers a secure, but not overly snug fit.
What I am truly impressesed with is the cushion to weight ratio: the cushioning in the heel and midfoot is plenty adequate for 40 miles/week of running, while the shoe weighs a mere 8 ounces. Typically, you don’t get support and cushion for that weight, you normally have to trade one plus for the other. Thankfully, the folks at New Balance have found a way to combine all 3 variables.
Overall, I have been pretty impressed with the 870’s and am excited to see you the Ndurance rubber in the heel holds up over time; per New Balance, this rubber has addded durability over more traditional rubbers. The MSRP for this shoe is also great, coming in at $99. To sum it all up, the 870 is a lightweight mild support shoe at a great price! Please visit NewBalance.com for more information.
- N-ergy: Superior cushioning that disperses impact forces while providing optimal cushioning
- Full-Length ABZORB strobel board: Additional layer of cushioning under foot from heel to toe
- Medial Post: Mild stability post provides just the right amount of support
- Ndurance rubber in heel area: Maximum durability in high use wear area
- Blown rubber outsole: Provides softer yet responsive feel
- Dual Density Collar foam: Snug yet comfortable heel fit
- Internal Shank: Additional midfoot support for lasting stability